"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Tuesday 27 February 2018

image pairings and strips

These are my collages for the prompts of "image pairings" (cutting an image in half and working the two sides into two distinctively different themed collages) and “strips”


“the green beak of some bird”

Above - I layered mainly vintage papers with a book loving theme.


“Y is for yacht”

A nautical themed collage with shipbuilding images, a German stamp with ships, a snippet from one of my photographs with sea spray and a label from the Cornwall Soap Box from St. Ives (it smells wonderful).


“say ‘cheese’”

Vintage papers, magazine image, snippet of original photo and a faded pressed Californian Poppy from the garden.


“love at first sight”

I used mainly vintage papers with some waxed papers for beautiful texture.


“strips”

Taking two images/papers and re-arranging them into strips helps to focus attention on different elements and patterns in the image.

Throughout this project I have endeavoured to use texture on all of my collages.  I like to use small pieces of fabric, stitch, buttons, waxed papers or lavish layering to achieve this.  Texture is always a hard thing to photograph, however I love running my hands over each collage in my sketchbook as much as I love considering and choosing the elements of theme and colour.

All collages are 5 x 5 inches in an 8 x 8 inch sketchbook for weeks 6 and 7 of the collage project following the weekly prompts in The Collage Workbook by Randel Plowman with my sister Evelyn.

6 comments:

Evelyn said...

Beautiful vintage collages!

Eloise said...

Stunning ...love the vintage colors.

Tanya Rogers said...

Fabulous Carolyn - love the muted vintage colours xx

Lululiz said...

I like the idea of this very much. Have to admit, it took me a while to find the connecting papers, doh. Beautifully executed. Your art is always stunning and leaves me quite breathless.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Another interesting concept - and worth further study to see all the details. My favourite is 'Love at First Sight'.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful neutrals...and those hints of blacks. xox