"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Friday 5 June 2009

Making beads with Angelina fibres

You will need:
  • Angelina fibres
  • Wooden barbeque stick
  • Heat gun
Angelina fibres














Tease out some angelina fibres and twist them round the wooden barbeque stick so it is as long or as thick as you want it










Then holding the heat gun about 6-8 inches away from the fibres use your heat gun to heat the fibres, twisting the stick to heat the fibres evenly. The fibres will fuse together very quickly (much quicker than Tyvek!) so don't get too close or heat for too long. Let the bead cool down and push off the stick

You end up with beads that look like silky cocoons. The bead can be sewn in the regular manner by passing a need and thread through it or couched down by sewing over the bead










Here I tried mixing two colours of Angelina fibres together














Twist the fibres around the stick












I added a little bit of pink!









Heat as described above and very quickly you will end up with a little pile of gorgeous shimmery beads














BEFORE FOLLOWING ANY OF THESE TECHNIQUES - PLEASE READ THE HEALTH AND SAFETY NOTICE HERE

3 comments:

Cathie said...

I NEVER thought to use Angelina fibers to make beads. My dear - you are a creative genius. I have loads of Angelina fibers and can't wait to try. They are soooo pretty.
Whatcha up to this weekend? Going to rain here all weekend - so I'll be working on "leaves" and finishing up Ms. Sabrina's professional tote bag - that I'm still struggling with. I wrapped it and gave it to her not quite finished!
Hey - I want some of those "choccies".
XO

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Hey you!! You eat those choccies and that will be two days at Boot Camp lol!!! Tell you what - I'll eat the choccies and send you the wrappers LOL :o)

Sharne Gregory said...

Lovely beads! have a good weekend