"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Saturday 23 May 2009

Melting/Distorting Fabric

This is what becomes of not taking my own advice!














This was a polysatin fabric and I just didn't think it would melt this quickly. I was ironing it ready to be a backing fabric, and never even considered putting a piece of baking paper over it to protect my iron, which is something I am always recommending to others!!!


















So now I have a very messy blue iron andthe blue won't come off! Good job I only use this one for textiles!














This is what I should have done. Fortunately, I had a second piece that I was able to use. This time I took no chances!


















All is not lost though! The iron did make some really interesting textures, holes and distressed "pulls". You can even see the outline of the iron. While I was at it, with nothing to lose, I distressed it some more with the iron and I'm sure it will come in handy for something later!

So, the message is, learn from my mistakes unless you want a nicely distressed piece of polysatin and a very colourful iron!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oops! That's the sort of thing I do. In my book it's a blond moment (no offence to blonds).